Saturday, March 31, 2012

Generation Dead by Daniel Waters

Photobucket
Published  by Hyperion
May 6th 2008: Hardcover, First Edition, 392 pages
Young Adult Fiction
Series: Generation Dead # 1
Facebook/Goodreads/National Bookstore/Website
Photobucket

Phoebe Kendall is just your typical Goth girl with a crush. She’s strong and silent…and dead.
All over the country, a strange phenomenon is occurring. Some teenagers who die aren't staying dead. But when they come back to life, they are no longer the same. Feared and misunderstood, they are doing their best to blend into a society that doesn’t want them.
The administration at Oakvale High attempts to be more welcoming of the “differently biotic." But the students don’t want to take classes or eat in the cafeteria next to someone who isn’t breathing. And there are no laws that exist to protect the “living impaired” from the people who want them to disappear—for good.
When Phoebe falls for Tommy Williams, the leader of the dead kids, no one can believe it; not her best friend, Margi, and especially not her neighbor, Adam, the star of the football team. Adam has feelings for Phoebe that run much deeper than just friendship; he would do anything for her. But what if protecting Tommy is the one thing that would make her happy?
Photobucket
WHY READ: I heard great things about this book.
WHAT I LIKE: This novel is a first book I read from Daniel Waters and my first zombie novel ever read in my entire life. This is a unique story for me because of the fact that it doesn't only have that young adult fantasy plot that leaves you with a happily ever after, Disney type of story. It's a deep story, There is a meaning behind most parts of the novel which will make you realized that it's happening in real life. The discrimination and the closed mindedness of people can do horrible things to another. This novel made it clear that people have a weakness of fearing something that they don't understand and will destroy what beauty it has. I guess that is the sole reason why I enjoyed this novel.
The concept behind Generation Dead is incredibly clever and executed well by Daniel Waters. I was expecting a book about teenage zombies - what I didn't expect was a well-written and complex young adult novel dealing with the universal themes of discrimination and acceptance. Daniel Waters blew me away with this fantastic debut!
I'll share with you some phrases that I love from this novel.

" You cannot know what we feel because we do not know what we feel" - Tommy Williams
" You've presented a reality that not everyone has chosen to accept" -Karen
" You are zombies, kids. And you need to use that term with pride, regardless of the reaction that it provokes" -?
"I'd rather live with the consequences of my choice than live with the consequence of fear"- Phoebe Kendall
WHAT DISAPPOINTED ME:
I wasn't disappointed  by this book. Actually I was even overwhelmed by it. I wasn't expecting it would have a complex meaning behind. I was happy with this. Very happy I read it.
Photobucket'
If your going to look for a good read base on a book cover, I guess you won't  pick this or me at least.
The cheerleading girl with a dead gaze isn't quite appealing for me. Thought I like the makeup look. ahaha 
The book cover is misleading behind the novel for me.Thought the colors of the cover I likey!
Photobucket
PERFECT 5 RAYBANS! A must read book! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment