Sunday, September 27, 2015

The Purgatorium by Eva Pohler

 photo free-floral-banners-by-FPTFY-3.jpg
Seventeen year-old Daphne Janus is floored when her parents agree to let her accompany her best friend to a getaway resort on an island off the coast of California. She doesn't know her parents have sent her to the Purgatorium as a last-ditch effort to save their child.

Her best friend and life-long neighbor takes her to a mostly uninhabited island with a wildlife preserve on one side and Chumash Indian ruins on the “haunted” side. The resort might be beautiful, the beach pristine, and the views from the headland amazing, but strange things begin to happen that soon have Daphne running for her life. At first she finds the therapeutic games thrilling: the ghosts that visit her room, the dropping elevator, and the kayak incident are actually kind of fun once she recovers from them. But when her horse bucks her off during a trail ride and she becomes lost on the haunted side of the island, it’s not fun anymore, and she wonders if her parents have sent her there to help her or to punish her.
 photo free-floral-banners-by-FPTFY-31.jpg
Why Read: Recommended by Benjaminoftomes who is a blooktuber who I love watching plus its FREE on Kindle! Who wouldn't say no to that!?!
What I Liked: This novel gave me the curiosity that made me flew over the pages with a damn QUICKNESS. I have to say it was a interesting premise that you want to know what is going on with the book, Which is a good thing if you are a reader with a reading challenge. The setting is another plus to the creepiness that is going on and I like how the characters were somehow weird that had me thinking a lot and be suspicious of. Another thing that I like is the myths that intertwined with the novel that always gets my attention sprinkling the story with fantasy.
What Disappointed Me: I wasn't a fan of the pacing though, There were parts especially the flash backs that for me wasn't really necessary to repeat over and over again. I also don't like the main character that tends to self pity a lot in the story. It brings bad vibes on my mood aha One more thing is the ending, It wasn't what I expected. It was a bit shallow ending. 
 photo free-floral-banners-by-FPTFY-33.jpg
Book cover is okay. I'm just not a fan of the eye thingy, find it cheesy and a bit cliche. 
 photo free-floral-banners-by-FPTFY-32.jpg


 photo default-category-header.gif

No comments:

Post a Comment